Good tool for archiving to media?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu May 29 12:55:22 EDT 2008

I have a directory with a slew of files I'll probably not need again
(a mirror of Fedora Legacy) and I'd like to burn them off to disc,
probably so I can throw those discs out ten years from now unread. ;)

Anyway, there are 42GB worth of files that I'd like to put on 4.7GB
discs.  I'd like to find an automated app or set of scripts that will:

* checksum the files (md5 or SHA type)
* store a manifest of the directory structure and checksums, ideally
on each disc (probably tunable)
* store the files with reasonable compression (I'm willing to wait
for bzip over gzip, e.g.)
* optimize disc layout to maximize the number of files (% of used
space) per disc, but maintaining as much coherency as possible, and
splitting if really needed (probably tunable?)
* allow for access into a single disc's content, randomly accessed
would be ideal
* store some forward error correction information to account for a
small amount of bitrot (probably tunable)
* free software
* bonus points for doing mkisofs and/or cdrecord for me, but not
really necessary

 From what I can tell from its website, RAR does much of this but
it's proprietary and patented and runs on Windows.  It seems like a
common enough set of criteria that some combination of bzip, par,
split, md5sum, and a handful of perl scripts could get this done.
I'm guessing this wheel's been invented but I haven't found it yet.

Anybody know if it's out there?

Thanks,
-Bill

-----