buying a laptop either bare or with Ubuntu

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sat Nov 15 09:21:14 EST 2008

On 11/14/2008 11:03 PM, Greg Rundlett wrote:
> I've noticed many vendors offering a Windows XP "downgrade" for an
> additional fee.  I just ordered a Lenovo notebook, and they do that.
> I don't know what to say about paying not to get something other than
> it sounds like a mafia racket.  /me shakes head.  If I were going to
> actually run Windows, then I'd probably pay extra for the XP option

I think the issues are that the vendors buy a bulk license, and the
process of producing a Windows machine is highly automated. In the case
of Linux or no OS, it is more of an out-of-process operation. The
number of Linux laptops produced is very small compared to Windows, and
Linux may not be compatible with some hardware options.  HP and Compaq
did at one time sell Linux laptops and desktops, but they stopped
because of the cost.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix