buying a laptop either bare or with Ubuntu

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sat Nov 15 12:55:04 EST 2008

On 11/15/2008 12:47 PM, Peter Dobratz wrote:
> while we're throwing pennies around, I think a lot of time when you
> buy a computer with Windows, you're actually getting the Windows OS
> and a bunch of other software that you'd rather not have (crapware).
> These are programs that have some means of generating revenue for
> their makers and the software makers pay the PC manufacturer to have
> them pre-installed.  These programs are usually Windows-only, so you
> end up not getting them with Linux.

While I don't judge them as crapware, many are useful pieces of software
with expiration dates. All of a sudden you try to edit a document and
find your software license expired and you have no choice but to buy the
licensed version. (Most people don't know about FOSS).

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix