"Relaying" video streams

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed Nov 19 12:49:42 EST 2008

On 2008-11-19 8:22 AM, Frank DiPrete wrote:
> I've used Darwin and it works well for streaming stored files on
> request - as long as they are 3gp's or mp4 mov's.

I think there's _some_ way to do it, e.g. from the FAQ:

"Q. Can I configure DSS to stream live .mp4, .3gp, or .mov streams to
simulate a radio or tv station to connected users?

Yes. Use the PlaylistBroadcaster that is part of DSS, to stream hinted
files from a server side playlist to DSS. All video files must have the
same frame size and use the same codec and all audio files must have
the same sample size and use the same codec."

I think with an all-macintosh solution you'd use Quicktime Brodcaster to
create the RTSP stream; but I've never actually done this so it's just
what I'm reading.  I'll have an opportunity to use someting like this in
May for a nonprofit centennial so I'll pay attention here.

-Bill