Microsoft hides behind Linux...

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 13:08:58 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Jefferson Kirkland
<numberwhun at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if any of you here have seen this article, but it sure brought
> a huge smile to my face.
>    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39115920,00.htm

  As MOD points out, that was in 2003.  Microsoft's Internet-facing
infrastructure was subject to a sudden onslaught of large DDoS
attacks.  They subscribed to Akamai in a hurry, which was the big name
at the time.  I suspect they didn't realize they were signing up for
Linux.  :)  Within a few months, they had switched most stuff over to
somebody else.  I can't remember who.  Footpath, maybe?

  I do note that, as of right now, their DNS seems to be back with Akamai.

$ host www.microsoft.com
www.microsoft.com is an alias for toggle.www.ms.akadns.net.

  But I also seem to recall a news story a while back that Akamai was
adding Microsoft-based services to their product lineup.  The question
is, did Microsoft switch back because Akamai added Windows, or did
Akamai add Windows to get Microsoft back?

-- Ben