portable music players

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Fri Oct 3 14:04:56 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 11:15:16AM -0400, Stephen Ryan wrote:

> There are other models from other companies that do work with a version
> of Rockbox. Sandisk actually requested a port to the Sansa e200 series,
> and donated player(s?) to the Rockbox team for it.  I'd report on how
> well it works, but my Sansa e260 is currently a nice-looking
> paperweight, thanks to the efforts of my cat (he dropped it in his water
> bowl one night) :-(

I'm a reasonably happy e260/rockbox user.  The stickiest drawback is
that you have to boot into the original firmware to use the USB
interface.  Rockbox will even generate a scroblog file that you can
use to update track info to last.fm - a friend wrote a q&d python
script which I use for that.  (me on last.fm: www.last.fm/user/revmem).

Things like this are also nice grandfather devices.  By which I mean
I can carry images around on it instead of (or in addition to) having
wallet photos :)  And I can put podcasts on it to listen to during
the down-time while babysitting.

Ever in geezer mode,
mm