Serial admin console program

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 21:08:56 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Alan Johnson <alan at datdec.com> wrote:
> The question/twist is, is there some way to flush or empy out the buffer on
> a serial port?

  Probably, but I doubt that's going to help you.  You've rebooted
both devices, which most assuredly clears any buffers associated with
the serial ports.

  I'm going to guess that there's something different between the
config that was working and the config you're using now.  The most
likely suspects are the serial port parameters.  Double check your
baud rate, data bits, stop bits, parity, and flow control.  In
particular, if one end is expecting flow control and the other end is
not configured to provide it, things will sit there forever not
flowing.

  You might also want to have your on-site people check for a loose
cable.  Maybe something got bumped while they were power cycling
things.

-- Ben