ethtool/nic question

bruce.labitt at autoliv.com bruce.labitt at autoliv.com
Mon Oct 6 13:17:50 EDT 2008

What has your success been with ethtool?  I cannot determine if I have a
software (ethtool) or hardware issue.
I cannot set either ethernet adapter I have to 1 Gbit.  I have a Broadcom
NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI express and a Realtek RTL-8169
adapters in my box.  The Broadcom is integrated in the mobo.

From google I know that people have had issues with the 8169's.  Some
folks have trouble and others don't.

My distro (still Sci Linux) have only version 5 of ethtools.  I just built
version 6 of ethtools and it does not seem to make a difference.  I can
supposedly set the speed and "it allows it", but querying the device
results in the report of the speed not being set to 1000 Mbit.  The 1Gbit
link light does not go on.  I cannot set either interface to 1Gbit, even
with autoneg off.

Any suggestions?  Buy another NIC?  Not really a problem - which one?  I
was leaning towards intel, but I read of their firmware being able to
brick itself.

-Bruce