ethtool/nic question

bruce.labitt at autoliv.com bruce.labitt at autoliv.com
Mon Oct 6 14:13:01 EDT 2008

I have a switch between the two computers I am trying to interconnect. The
remote computer comes up as gig-E.  The local computer, connected to
either port, seems to come up as 100M.  I have tested the switch by
swapping ports - I know the switch is ok.  (The gig-E indicator follows
the remote switch.)   I also tried a different CAT6 cable, still no joy.

To make sure I haven't messed anything totally up, is there a way to set
the NIC's back to their normal mode.  Are the setting for ethtool
persistent?

# ethtool -s ethX autoneg on  ?

Anything else?

-Bruce

"Darrell Michaud" <dmichaud at amergin.org> wrote on 10/06/2008 01:45:09 PM:

> I'm sure there's other advice out there but I'll throw in:
>
> Don't change the linux broadcom or intel gig-E ethernet drivers from
their
> defaults without a specifically documented reason. They will
autonegotiate
> to 1000 when possible under normal circumstances.
>
> Check your wiring, your switch, your switch's configuration first. My
> personal experience is that GigE automatically dumbing down from 1000 to
> 100 has not been due to an configuration issue in the linux drivers.
>

> bruce.labitt at autoliv.com wrote:
> > What has your success been with ethtool?  I cannot determine if I have
> > software (ethtool) or hardware issue.
> > I cannot set either ethernet adapter I have to 1 Gbit.  I have a
Broadcom
> > NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI express and a Realtek RTL-8169
> > adapters in my box.  The Broadcom is integrated in the mobo.
> >
> > From google I know that people have had issues with the 8169's.  Some
> > folks have trouble and others don't.
> >
> > My distro (still Sci Linux) have only version 5 of ethtools.  I just
built
> > version 6 of ethtools and it does not seem to make a difference.  I
can
> > supposedly set the speed and "it allows it", but querying the device
> > results in the report of the speed not being set to 1000 Mbit.  The
1Gbit
> > link light does not go on.  I cannot set either interface to 1Gbit,
even
> > with autoneg off.
> >
> > Any suggestions?  Buy another NIC?  Not really a problem - which one?
> > was leaning towards intel, but I read of their firmware being able to
> > brick itself.
> >
> > -Bruce
> > ******************************
> > Neither the footer nor anything else in this E-mail is intended to or
> > constitutes an <br>electronic signature and/or legally binding
agreement
> > in the absence of an <br>express statement or Autoliv policy and/or
> > procedure to the contrary.<br>This E-mail and any attachments hereto
are
> > Autoliv property and may contain legally <br>privileged, confidential
> > and/or proprietary information.<br>The recipient of this E-mail is
> > prohibited from distributing, copying, forwarding or in any way
prior
> > written <br>permission from the author. If you receive this E-mail in
> > error, please <br>immediately notify the author and delete this
E-mail.