ethtool/nic question

bruce.labitt at autoliv.com bruce.labitt at autoliv.com
Tue Oct 7 09:55:46 EDT 2008

Thanks for the tip on depowering.  I'll try this.

Not sure about boot on LAN.  But the switch is definitely indicating
100MbT at my ethX connection.  The remote connection indicated 1000MbT.
This indicator followed the hosts even if I swapped the ports on the
switch.

I'm about ready to dump this distro at this point.  I have had way too
many issues with other stuff.  I think I'll do a clean install of a
slightly more up to date distro.

Backing up now in process.  Ubuntu, here I come...

-Bruce

"Darrell Michaud" <dmichaud at amergin.org> wrote on 10/07/2008 04:22:46 AM:

> Once the gig-E cards have dropped down to 100 for a valid reason,
> sometimes it is tricky to induce them to renegotiate up again. If they
> don't handle it automatically or with something like ethtool or a
> manufacturer's utility, you might try removing the kernel module drivers
> and re-adding them after switching ports, port configuration, or cables.
> Sometimes this isn't enough, because of firmware bugs or something
> happening at the hardware level. In this case one workaround is to fully
> drain power to the card and then repower it.
>
> Do either of your NICs support booting from the LAN? If they do (and
> sometimes even if they do not) the NICs will fully power on and
negotiate
> a link before Linux is up. Sometimes (with Wake on LAN) the NICs will be
> fully powered as long as there's electricity on the motherboard,
> regardless of whether the system is on or not. You can check the lights
on
> your interface or switch to see if it's recognizing 100bT or 1000bT. If
> you can do this and remove the OS as a variable, it might make your
> troubleshooting easier.
>

> bruce.labitt at autoliv.com wrote:
> > I have a switch between the two computers I am trying to interconnect.
The
> > remote computer comes up as gig-E.  The local computer, connected to
> > either port, seems to come up as 100M.  I have tested the switch by
> > swapping ports - I know the switch is ok.  (The gig-E indicator
follows
> > the remote switch.)   I also tried a different CAT6 cable, still no
joy.

> > To make sure I haven't messed anything totally up, is there a way to
set
> > the NIC's back to their normal mode.  Are the setting for ethtool
> > persistent?
> >
> > # ethtool -s ethX autoneg on  ?
> >
> > Anything else?
> >
> > -Bruce
> >
> > "Darrell Michaud" <dmichaud at amergin.org> wrote on 10/06/2008 01:45:09
PM:

> >> I'm sure there's other advice out there but I'll throw in:
> >>
> >> Don't change the linux broadcom or intel gig-E ethernet drivers from
> > their
> >> defaults without a specifically documented reason. They will
> > autonegotiate
> >> to 1000 when possible under normal circumstances.
> >>
> >> Check your wiring, your switch, your switch's configuration first. My
> >> personal experience is that GigE automatically dumbing down from 1000
> >> 100 has not been due to an configuration issue in the linux drivers.

> > Broadcom
RTL-8169

Some