META: message encoding/MIME types

Ric Werme ewerme at comcast.net
Tue Oct 7 12:41:52 EDT 2008

> ...  It could
> be we simply have some vocal Luddites (hell, I'm usually one of that
> group), and most other people are perfectly happy with this radical
> new stuff from circa 1988.  Or maybe everybody here thinks HTML mail
> is ugly, promulgated by Microsoft and AOL, and an evil waste of time,
> money, and bandwidth, and they're just keeping quiet.  I dunno one way
> or the other.

HTML mail is ugly, and an evil waste of time, money, and bandwidth.
And confusing, jarring in digests (image a book where each chapter
was printed in a different font, size, and color), and in general
is a scourge upon the Internet.

I don't know who created it, but it would have been nice if they had
spent a minute or two thinking about quoting (and trimming!) text
that is being replied to.

However, I have better causes to pursue and there's too few of us
card-punching, chad creating, 80 column loving, pioneering programmers who
remember when Email was sent with FTP to mount a vigorous defense.