Serial admin console program

mike ledoux mwl+gnhlug at alumni.unh.edu
Wed Oct 8 11:23:20 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 09:46:24AM -0400, Alan Johnson wrote:
> device is a Coyote Point E350si Equalizer and the servers are HP Proliant
> 300 series servers.  Turns out, there is a known problem with serial ports
> on HP servers with ILO that is causing all my problems:
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=408482&prodTypeId=15351&objectID=c01187465
>
> Of course, early on, I though it might be a bad serial port, and moved the
> connection to a different machine, but they were all HPs with ILO.  I
> figured I just had to be doing something wrong.  I am confident that I can
> get it working again by having the serial connection moved to a non-HP.
> Some day, I'll turn off the serial console ILO access on all those HPs, as
> described in that link, but I'm not going to reboot the machines just for
> that.

FWIW, you don't have to reboot the machine to fix this, though you
may have to reset the iLO processor if your iLO firmware is too old
(0 impact on the managed server, OS, apps, etc.).  Log in to the
iLO web interface, click on the "Administration" tab, click on the
"Global Settings" link, change "Serial Command Line Interface" to
"Disabled", cilck "Apply".  Problem gone.

--
mwl+gnhlug at alumni.unh.edu          OpenPGP KeyID 0x57C3430B
Holder of Past Knowledge           CS, O-