FTP / wget / browser download through M$ proxy server. 32 bit issue?

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at verizon.net
Thu Oct 16 22:24:48 EDT 2008

Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On Oct 16, 2008, at 09:33, bruce.labitt at autoliv.com wrote:
> <snip>
>

> Stab in the dark - they're running their proxy cache on a FAT-32
> filesystem which has a file size limit of 2^32-1.
>
> Try curl's -r option, and see if you can download the file in
> multiple chunks.
>
> And make sure IT knows they're preventing you from getting important
> company work done.
>
> -Bill

Very neat stuff!  Thanks for pointing out curl to me.  I'm not quite
sure how to set up ntlm and proxy stuff yet, but I will check this out.
curl looks like it could do the trick.

My IT group knows about my downloading woes.  I basically told them
exactly what I told the list.  I asked them to download the file for
me.  They have been having trouble...  I did get a bit of smug
satisfaction to see they were having the same sort of troubles that I
was experiencing.

They had to go around their firewall and proxy server to get the file -
using the "dreaded bit torrent".  (It was the only way they could do
it.)  I suppose if I keep on asking them enough times to do stuff like
this, they will make some changes.

Oh, in the mean time we will buy a DVD too.  Of course, if I did that in
the beginning I would have been ahead of the game.

-Bruce