Distro dance (was: FTP / wget)

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 17:09:41 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 9:33 AM,  <bruce.labitt at autoliv.com> wrote:
> Once I get everything going again I think I will reinstall
> Ubuntu 64 bit since it seems to support newer hardware and applications -
> at least for the ones that I need.

  Some ideas:

  You could dual-boot CentOS (or Sci Linux) and Ubuntu off the same
hardware.  Use CentOS for when you need it for support reasons; use
Ubuntu for newer stuff.

  Building upon that: You could install Ubuntu on the hardware, and
put CentOS in a VM (Virtual Machine).  Run Ubuntu all the time, and
boot up CentOS in the VM (on top of Ubuntu) when you need it.

  VMWare Server is "free", and does a pretty good job at this.  It has
a pretty GUI to make things easier.  I've used it myself, and I know
it works.

  Xen (one of Linux's native VM mechanisms) is free and Free, and is
probably a better choice.  I've seen it demoed, and I've read what
others are doing with it, and it seems powerful and capable.  I've
never used it myself, but I know others on this list have, and they
can hopefully assist.  Come to think of it, I'd expect Xen to have
pretty GUIs by now, too.  One thing I don't know about is what Ubuntu
+ Xen equals, but Google suggests it is supported.

-- Ben