Search-and-replace text in Firefox

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 14:02:51 EDT 2008

Hello all,

  Anyone know of a Firefox extension or Greasemonkey userscript which
provides an ad hoc "search-and-replace text" feature?  I frequently
find myself wanting to do this within an HTML form's TEXTAREA box, or
even across multiple text fields.

  This sort of thing is sometimes called "find-and-replace text" or
"text substitution".  In GUI editors it is popularly mapped to
[CTRL]+[H].  In Emacs, it would be called "Query Replace" and mapped
to [ALT]+[SHIFT]+[%].  In vi, it would be the ":s/foo/bar/" command.

  I could, of course, copy-and-paste to another text editor, or even
use one of the extensions that will fire up an external text editor.
However, that is cumbersome -- for some of my usage cases,
impractically so.  I need something lightweight, that lives inside the
browser, and that I can invoke easily and quickly.

  I tried Google, addons.mozilla.org, and userscripts.org, but
couldn't seem to construct the right search string.  I kept getting
false matches of unrelated stuff.  I'm hope somebody here knows of
something already.  Or maybe just has better luck with the search
engine gods.

  advTHANKSance

-- Ben