Search-and-replace text in Firefox

Ric Werme ewerme at comcast.net
Sun Oct 19 12:35:50 EDT 2008

Ben wrote:

>   Anyone know of a Firefox extension or Greasemonkey userscript which
> provides an ad hoc "search-and-replace text" feature?  I frequently
> find myself wanting to do this within an HTML form's TEXTAREA box, or
> even across multiple text fields.

>   I could, of course, copy-and-paste to another text editor, or even
> use one of the extensions that will fire up an external text editor.
> However, that is cumbersome -- for some of my usage cases,
> impractically so.  I need something lightweight, that lives inside the
> browser, and that I can invoke easily and quickly.

While it only works with text areas, I'm mostly happy with the "It's All
Text" extension.  I have a 3x3 workspace grid and keep Netscape in the lower
left and get there via "1" on the numeric keypad.

So I've added an emacs there too and for editing a textarea on various blogs
click on edit, edit in emacs, save and go back to Netscape.  Less hassle
than cut & paste. I'd probably keep using It's All Text even if I knew of a
search&replace addon.