Upgrade guidance

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 08:25:31 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Bruce Dawson <jbd at codemeta.com> wrote:
> I believe 'comm -12 file1 file2' will come close to giving you an
> intersection of two [sorted] files.

  "close"?  :)  The man page seems to indicate that's exactly what it will do.

  Assuming it works as advertised, I think this would be a shorter way
to do what Bill's script (useful idea!) does:

comm -12 <( package-cleanup --orphans | sort ) <( package-cleanup
--leaves --all | sort )

  Both seem to produce similar output on my FC8 home PC.

  The above makes use of a shell trick I learned about not long ago,
via this list.  And a shell utility I learned about just now, of
course.  And Bill's original concept.  Thanks, Bill, Bruce, <whoever
posted trick>.

-- Ben