Upgrade guidance

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 21 17:38:30 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 17:03 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com>:
>
> >> Oh, yeah, I hit this issue too.  Wasn't TOO hard to deal with manually,
> >> but still quite annoying to have to.
> >
> > Packager error when you encounter that. Shouldn't ever happen, newer
> > distro should always have a higher NVR.
>
> The one I remember was frysk.  IIRC the problem was that the F8 updates
> had package release -2, but the F9 repo only had -1.  It could have
> just been a mirror timing issue, but it was still a PITA to deal with.
> Packager errors still happen.

Yeah, I should have said "shouldn't ever happen, but does". Hell, I've
accidentally done it a time or two myself (though its been a while now,
since I typically work on devel first, then bring the same spec back to
earlier distros -- same base NVR, and the %dist tag takes care of proper
ordering).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com