was: Dual boot linices?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 21 21:29:01 EDT 2008

On Oct 21, 2008, at 6:11 PM, Bill McGonigle wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2008, at 17:02, bruce.labitt at autoliv.com wrote:
>
>> Why are these linices hostile to each other?
>
> They don't agree on the best version and file layout for their
> bootloaders.  Bootloading and grub especially are among the most
> harrowing aspects of running a Linux machine.  There's room for
> improvement, but nobody seems to be taking on the task.  Last I
> looked grub 3 was a rewrite that didn't support the most basic of
> needs.

Grub 3 or grub 2? I thought 2 was the pie-in-the-sky rewrite that
didn't actually suffice in many cases... At least, Fedora still ships
a heavily HEAVILY patched grub 0.9.7, which is actually maintained in
a public git tree now, and I believe used by at least a few other
distributions.

> Maybe the idea needs to be rethunk.  Not the least of the problems
> is dealing with the IBM PC BIOS/DOS constraints.  rEFIt seems more
> elegant (it's for EFI machines).

Yeah, rEFIt looks slick (I have it on two of my Macs here), but EFI
brings a whole host of other problems...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com