IMAP URLs

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Tue Sep 2 10:15:57 EDT 2008

"Michael ODonnell" <michael.odonnell at comcast.net> writes:

> I just noticed that for any of my email folders Thunderbird will
> report an URL of the form:
>
>    imap://userName@serverName/pathName
>
> ...and I wonder if there's a Linux tool like wget that I can use
> to pull email folders and such from an Exchange server, hopefully
> into a local hierarchy whose layout reflects that of the Exchange
> server's and, ideally (I can dream!) one file per msg, MH-style.

As others have said, fetchmail+procmail work superbly against an IMAP
server, regardless of whether it's Exchange or otherwise.  Procmail is
more than happy to create MH mail stores for you.

I did this for over 10 years while using (ex)mh and before switching
to Gnus.  Oh, and there's no need to know about imap:// URLs with
fetchmail.  You just point it at the correct server and port and it
does it's thing.

--
Seeya,
Paul