Phones for Asterisk and single-pair old phone wiring?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 12:31:40 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Kenny Lussier <klussier at gmail.com> wrote:
> That all depends on what you want to do... You can leave all of your
> phones connected to the Merridian/Norstar/whatever, then connect that
> PBX to an asterisk box for external and internal connectivity.

  Hmmm.  I hadn't thought of that.  Use Asterisk as a PBX in front of
the Norstar.  Configuration would be a bear, like you say, but once it
got figured out, it would stay figured out.  We'd loose out on having
an integrated system, though.  With one system, everything
functions... well, as a system.  Lots of little things, but they add
up.  Lke extension naming and calling station ID, internal call
forwarding, voice message forwarding, busy station indicators, call
pickup groups, internal hunt groups, integrated directory, etc.  So
the user experience would not be anywhere near as smooth.  Something
to think about, though.  Hmmmm...

> Also, keep in mind that with Asterisk, you are not limited to SIP.

  Right; I was simplifying for rhetorical convenience.  The VoIP side
of things isn't really my issue.  That's a solved problem.  :)

-- Ben