Lan + DMZ + LargeNumOfFiles = headaches AKA: plz halp and donate ur brain!!

Flaherty, Patrick pflaherty at wsi.com
Thu Sep 4 18:42:16 EDT 2008

I've been soliciting solutions from everyone I can think of on moving a
large number of files from inside our lan to a dmz on a regular basis.

I have a cluster of machine producing 20k small files (30kbytes or so)
inside our lan. After the files are created, they are pushed to a few
web servers in the DMZ using ftp. The push is done by the machine that
created the file. Ideally, the files make it out to the DMZ in less than
30 seconds but there have been some issues.

FTP seems to fall down when scaling out to more than a web server or
two, many retries and transfer failures. It also adds to complexity to
the processing. What if one of the web servers is down? How many time do
you retry? Should you notify the other hosts in the cluster? All that
logic needs to be in the pushing script, which becomes a bit ungainly.
There's also the issue with constantly opening up new ftp sessions,
which is a bit expensive.

So I'm looking for a cleaner architecture. An ideal solution would be an
NFS/CIFS share internal to the lan replicated readonly to an NFS/CIFS
share in the DMZ. The cluster can write to the nfs share, the web
servers can read from the nfs share. Everyone is happy. The big sticking
point is being careful violating the security by multi homing the
storage. Many solutions require an open connection network on many ports
between the two storage boxes, which would be an easy way in to our lan.

So far I'm poking at (and some downsides):
 FUSE + (sshfs/ftpfs): High performance hit (60%ish from what I've read)
 ZFS + StorageTek: Great, another operating system train people on.
 DRBD: requires full network connection between lan and dmz boxes.
 dataplow sfs + das box: sales people will promise you the world.
 Software SAN replicators of to many names to mention.

This is such a common problem, I'm not sure why there isn't a nice
canned solution of two cheap pieces of hardware. Maybe I'm just an idiot
and there is. Oh please please please tell me I'm an idiot.

Anyone have any brilliant ideas?

Best,
Patrick