fairpoint fiber rates?

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at verizon.net
Mon Sep 15 21:52:47 EDT 2008

Tom Engle wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 9:02 PM, Bruce Labitt
> <bruce.labitt at verizon.net <mailto:bruce.labitt at verizon.net>> wrote:
>
>     Just got a Fairpoint flyer for fiber.  (Nice alliteration.)
>      Anyone got
>     an idea on how much this actually costs?  All they give you is a phone
>     number to call.  Likewise on their website.
>
>     Does the rate vary by location?  Why won't they post it?  The 'evil'
>     Comcast posts theirs.
>
>     My DSL is a bit slow for my taste nowadays.  I'd call, but I'm wary of
>     being talked into something I really would like but shouldn't buy
>     because of the monthly rate.  So does anyone happen to know, and would
>     you share the rates?
>
>     I would hope there are only 4 rates (5/2, 15/2, 15/15, and 30/15).
>     If it matters, I live in Nashua.
>

> I have 15/2 fiber in Nashua for exactly $44.95 per month.  I signed up
> back when it was still Verizon, so I can't say whether Fairpoint is
> still offering it to new users at that price, but they haven't upped
> the price on me yet.
>
> Tom
Thanks Tom.  Right now, they are offering 3 months free (sure - it isn't
really free, it is just a discount) if I sign up for a year.  I just
didn't know what the rate actually was.

Does Fairpoint force you into some combo with phone service?  Right now
I only have local service enabled so we have a landline for DSL and
around town service.  Long distance is on our cell phones since it is
cheaper.

Have you had many interruptions on fiber?

If the rate above is still valid then the rate per month is (9/12)*44.95
= $33.71, which isn't too bad.  Just at the threshold of pain...
Actually when I first signed up for DSL it was for $35/month so it
really isn't too bad.

I wonder why they don't publish their rates?  Are they playing cat &
mouse with their competition?