Questions about Ubuntu

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Thu Sep 18 09:51:28 EDT 2008

On 09/18/2008 09:38 AM, Bruce Labitt wrote:
> At work, I need to set up stuff like a tftp server, a nfs server, dhcpd,
> and my favorite ;) 3D imaging using vtk, python, mayavi2, scipy, opengl
> etc.  Is that a good fit?  I don't know if that qualifies as a regular
> "desktop" user.  How is their 64 bit support?

There is a server version, and while they do have 64-bit support,
Fedora's support of 32-bit applications and libraries is a bit better in
my opinion.  My laptops are 32-bit and my workstation is 64-bit.
> I'm seriously considering Ubuntu at home.  I've got 2 SuSE9.3 machines
> that I need to upgrade!  How's wireless these days?  In the old days
> that used to be a bear.  I hope it is painless now.

One laptop has an Atheros chipset, the other an Intel.  Both were
recognized immediately by Ubuntu and have never had a problem finding APs.

-Mark