Questions about Ubuntu

Darrell Michaud dmichaud at amergin.org
Thu Sep 18 10:23:42 EDT 2008

Bruce Labitt wrote:
> Ubuntu uses a different package manager, does it really matter?

My feeling is that too much is made of this. I use RPM based distributions
and DEB based distributions interchangeably during the day. From a high
level user's perspective there is no real difference. There's system
updaters that will handle keeping your system up to date. You can grab
packages from third party repositories and many work fine. If you are too
aggressive about using packages from a repositories other than your
distribution's tested set, you can shoot yourself in the foot.