Questions about Ubuntu

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Sep 18 15:40:05 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 15:27 -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> peachy :-)
> As an example, I use WPA here in the office, no encryption at MIT, and
> WPA 128 at home. Ater a Jarod Wilson discussion a while ago, I maindo do
> suspend and my system is able to easily detect the wireless and connect
> to it. Last night John Abreau had his wireless on and I connected to his
> before it found MIT. Brought it into the office this morning, and it
> came up right away, and this is a broadcom wireless. With Broadcom you
> have to set up the firmware initially, but the native Linux drivers tend
> to work well now.

Just to add some more evidence as to the current solid state of Linux
wireless support... WEP here in the office, WPA2 at home, all five of my
wireless cards connect to both just fine using NetworkManager. One
Broadcom 43xx, one original Apple AirPort (Orinoco, iirc), one Atheros
AR2425 (only supported very recently in 2.6.27), one Intel iwl4965 and
one Intel iwl5350. Even does 802.11n speeds with the two Intel cards.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com