Wireless (was: Questions about Ubuntu)

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Thu Sep 18 17:19:20 EDT 2008

On 09/18/2008 03:58 PM, Ben Scott wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>
>> Just to add some more evidence as to the current solid state of Linux
>> wireless support...
>>

>   In my experience, it has also depended on the packaging policies of
> the distribution and the hardware one happens to have.  In particular,
> since Broadcom chips need firmware loaded by the driver, and I guess
> the distros cannot legally distribute the Broadcom firmware, one could
> run into chicken-and-egg problems when booting from a live CD and with
> only wireless available.
>
>   Maybe things have improved, but I don't see how anyone could get
> around the firmware issue.
>
>   For chips made by companies that don't suck like Broadcom does,
> things have been pretty good for a number of years.  The problem is it
> seems like everything uses a cheap Broadcom chip these days.

My experience with Ubuntu is that if you install b43-fwcutter on Ubuntu
(not the legacy bcm43xx-wcutter) the firmware will be installed. It was
surprised when it did that because o my previous experiences with the
broadcom chip.

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846