Questions about Ubuntu

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Fri Sep 19 11:55:24 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Thomas Charron <twaffle at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 7:36 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
> >> If you run any GUI admin tools it'll ask you for the root password.
> This
> >> is a bug, IMNSHO - if the user has sudo rights that should be
>  sufficient,
> >> with or without a raster display.
> >> Even Apple gets this right.  <-- waves red flag at bulls
> > I don't agree that it is a bug. When I first installed Ubuntu, I was used
> > the root password, and it was confusing for a while.
>
>  However, if you can do anything root can do without it asking for a
> password explicity, one has to ask..  Why not just run as root at that
> point.  If there is no isolation, and anything you need to have admin
> privs to do can be done by users in a certain 'group'....
>
>  Well, I suppose it means anyone with admin rights would at least be
> able to have different desktops. *shrug*

I have environments (SOX too) that specify no shared accounts; only one
person is allowed to know the password of root or any other account.

sudo lets me share privileges without sharing accounts.
In addition, I can log every invocation of sudo and the command that gets
run.  su only records when you run su.

So:
sudo ls
sudo chown
sudo chgrp

vs the su log
su

the ls/chown/chgrp would not be logged for su.