LVM

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at verizon.net
Mon Sep 22 21:31:22 EDT 2008

Frank DiPrete wrote:

> Bruce Labitt wrote:
>> A while back I added a 1TB drive to my mythtv box.  My 500GB drive
>> was about full so I thought I'd lvm the 1TB drive onto the existing.
>> I did not do it correctly apparently.  My system is only reporting
>> the original 500GB.  If, however, I open up the lvm gui I see a
>> Volume Group 00 that consists of sda and sdb?  with a total of
>> 1.5TB?  It does not look like anything is on the new drive.  How can
>> I fix this.  My video is on /mnt/store, I suppose that is the section
>> that I would like to migrate to the new drive?
>>
>> Any suggestions?  Step away from the computer before I mess something
>> up?
>
> Nah - it just sounds like you didn't resize the logical volume and the
> file system. You just need to extend the logical volume that is
> /mnt/store (assuming that /mnt/store is on a logical volume), make it
> bigger, make the file system bigger, then remount it.
>
> The hierarchy (from low to high)
> disk partition
> physical volume
> volume group
> logical volume
> file system
>
> so It sounds like you
> 1) installed the drive and partitioned it as type lvm
> then using the gui
> 2) did a pvcreate on it
> 3) did a vgexpand to add the pv to the volume group
>
> did you
> 4) do an lvextend to extend the size of the logical volume?
> 5) do a resize2fs to resize the file system to the extended logical
> volume?
>
> if not(4) {
>  use vgdisplay to see how much unused space is on your volume group;
>  use lvextend -L +(space)G on the logical volume that is used for
> /mnt/store
>  lvdisplay to check it;
> }
>
> if not(5) {
>   unmount the partition;
>   fsck it (resize2fs makes you do it anyway);
>   resize2fs the logical volume partition
>   mount it
> }
>
> If memory serves me the default for resize2fs is to extend to the end
> of the partition.
>
> If I got the assumptions about your setup wrong let me know.
>
> Can you post the results of
> pvdisplay
> vgdisplay
> lvdisplay
>
> and the content of fstab?

# pvdisplay
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sda2
  VG Name               VolGroup00
  PV Size               465.66 GB / not usable 3.56 MB
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size (KByte)       32768
  Total PE              14901
  Free PE               1
  Allocated PE          14900
  PV UUID               vrymx9-40Np-MlSL-6WGq-WNaV-1V0V-3hoOzL

  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sdb1
  VG Name               VolGroup00
  PV Size               931.51 GB / not usable 13.71 MB
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size (KByte)       32768
  Total PE              29808
  Free PE               29808
  Allocated PE          0
  PV UUID               BWPEqa-fvJc-pwQY-q2gq-3kw9-2L4a-stgbdb

# vgdisplay
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               VolGroup00
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        2
  Metadata Sequence No  4
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                2
  Open LV               2
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                2
  Act PV                2
  VG Size               1.36 TB
  PE Size               32.00 MB
  Total PE              44709
  Alloc PE / Size       14900 / 465.62 GB
  Free  PE / Size       29809 / 931.53 GB
  VG UUID               STbN5M-FIOK-QjDp-hBt6-4hS7-X74G-ESn3ze

# lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  LV UUID                Z5uOWq-pG1h-zPFM-o2H3-ZYiN-OkqU-qXFX43
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                463.69 GB
  Current LE             14838
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:0

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  LV UUID                zcYYhh-t2F4-rWX2-aZ6x-cFyz-NcKT-lQKODw
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                1.94 GB
  Current LE             62
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:1

# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

Pretty sure I did not do either 4 or 5.  I did not do anything in the
cli.  My bad - I thought it would be self-explanatory in the gui.  WRONG.

So I don't think I intentionally did either 2 or 3.  I do know that I
did not do anything to extend the directory /mnt/store.

-Bruce