Serial admin console program

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Tue Sep 23 17:24:23 EDT 2008

Minicom can work pretty well if you just set your profile to 9600 and the
right serial port.  Then, I just alias minicom to 'minicom -o' to keep it
from initializing my modem when I run it.  Then you just have to make sure
all your serial devices are set to 9600 and be consistent there.

>From a hardware perspective, a good serial console server can be a very easy
way never to have to think about this again.  I've got an old Xyplex at work,
but I've used much newer nicer ones in the past, and they are indispensable
for "local console" access from everywhere without having to plug and unplug
stuff manually.
-N