Serial admin console program

Chip Marshall chip at 2bithacker.net
Tue Sep 23 19:47:57 EDT 2008

On September 23, 2008, Jared Watkins sent me the following:
> You can also do this with one of my favorite little utilities...
> screen.   'screen /dev/ttyS0 38400' for instance.. then the standard
> commands apply inside screen.  Not so much of a gui but...

Neat, I didn't know screen could be used like that.

I've always just used 'cu' when talking to generic serial devices:
    cu --line /dev/ttyS0 --escape ^ --speed 38400

In the habit of changing the escape character because the default of ~
is the same that SSH uses.

Note that in the grand tradition of reinventing wheels, the BSD cu is
not the same as the cu found on most Linux boxes.

--
Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net>
http://weblog.2bithacker.net/          KB1QYW        PGP key ID 43C4819E