Serial admin console program

Alan Johnson alan at datdec.com
Thu Sep 25 17:25:16 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Neil Joseph Schelly <neil at jenandneil.com>
> >> Yeah, those are nice, but all our stuff is collocated with servers that
> >> already have serial ports ...
> >
> > That's exactly the reason to get a serial console server.
>
>   I think his point is that the "stuff" can be connected to the serial
> ports on existing *nix hosts for zero dollars, while a serial console
> server would be non-zero dollars.

Right, I could have been clearer: we only have 3 or 4 network devices at
each location that need to be connected to serial ports for backup-admin
access, and we have many many servers collocated in the same racks, each
already having at least one serial port on them.

Thanks for all the info folks!  I'm still digesting it all as I had to put
the relevant project on the back burner for a bit, but I'll let you know
what I settle on.  I am particularly intrigued by the use of screen (a
favorite of mine also) to do the trick!  Thanks, Jarod.

Alan Johnson
alan at datdec.com