Skype and Asterisk

VirginSnow at vfemail.net VirginSnow at vfemail.net
Sat Sep 27 12:28:31 EDT 2008

> From: Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com>
> Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:24:05 -0400

> On Sep 26, 2008, at 14:42, Thomas Charron wrote:
>
> >   Wow, I didn't see THIS one coming..
>

> Unless I read that wrong, it's just allowing Skype PSTN gateway via
> Asterisk.  I doubt Skype will ever allow their (quite good) client to
> be used with IAX or SIP.  Happy to be proven wrong.  Even happier to

Digium is already licensing some binary-only modules for use with
Asterisk.  Asterisk supports G.729 pass-through with GPL'd code.  But
if you want to transcode G.729 calls (to connect with non-G.729
devices, voicemail, etc.) you need to buy a BLOB from Digium.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Digium come out with a binary
only chan_skype.so for interoperating with the Skype network.