Price/Performance of time

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Tue Sep 30 11:17:41 EDT 2008

>It's about 6 Mb/s or just shy of 1MB/s. The entire data contents of
>RP06 then could have been fetched in about 200s (let's say 3min),
>compared to 1TB at 300MB/s and thus approx. 3000s or close to 1h.

All of that would assume that you were reading sequentially and not
waiting for disk head movement and rotational delay aggravated by direct
access techniques.

The RP06 did not have 16 MBytes of cache memory built into it, and I
definitely remember "tuning" the various disks on our system, laying out
different size blocks of data in different patterns to maximize data
throughput for various size files and access techniques.

Ah, the bad old days!

md