Out of memory while booting?

Charles G Montgomery cgm at physics.utoledo.edu
Wed Apr 1 12:59:00 EDT 2009

I have a machine with what I suspect is a hardware problem, but I'm
not a hardware person.  Perhaps someone might have a suggestion if
I describe the problem.

The machine has an AMD 64 cpu, 2 GB memory, an ASUS A8V-XE
motherboard. I run Debian testing (currently squeeze).

Booting starts normally and proceeds quite a way.  It gets as far as
messages about being out of memory.  It starts killing processes
until it has killed everything but init, and then just scrolls
frantic out of memory messages forever -- only powering down can
stop it.

I had two different kernels installed.  The behavior is exactly the
same with either of them.  I tried booting from an OpenCD, which
has Ubuntu on it.  All the hardware detection and initialization
went fine.  There were no error messages.  But when it tried to
start up X, all I got was a brown screen with a cursor (movable
with the mouse) and no menus or keyboard response or any way to do
anything.

I've taken the box down to Compucare in Peterborough.  The fellow
there is a Windows guy and knows very little about Linux, but he
knows hardware.  He has done memory tests and disk tests and found
nothing.  He is going to copy a disk image to another machine and
see if things work there.  But he's as baffled as I am.

If anyone has an idea what the problem might be, or just suggestions
of things to test, that would be greatly appreciated.

regards cgm