Dell Studio Hybrid won't work with ViewSonic vx2235wm monitor (DVI)

Hewitt_Tech hewitt_tech at comcast.net
Mon Apr 13 13:22:45 EDT 2009

Thomas Charron wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Alex Hewitt <hewitt_tech at comcast.net> wrote:
>> It really does sound like broken hardware. I've noticed that small form
>> factor machines (with the exception of the Mac Mini) seem to have a
>> higer rate of failure than regular towers.
>
>   But he's able to connect OTHER monitors to the same computer via the
> DVI port and it works fine.

Well perhaps not outright broken but probably incompatible. I wonder if
the initial video signal put out by the Dell is a problem for that
monitor? Usually in that situation you would get a "signal out of range"
or error of that type. One thing that can cause a problem like this is a
loss of ground or other active connection.

Looking at Dell's web page for the Hybrid it doesn't appear that there
is any way to switch to a different video controller.

-Alex

P.S. Just for the fun of it try turning the ViewSonic monitor off with
the on/off button and then turning it back on again while it's
connected. You might see some form of diagnostic on the monitor. If the
monitor as an "Auto" button you could try pressing it although I'm sure
you have already tried that.