Shifty Shell Prompts

Ed lawson elawson at grizzy.com
Thu Apr 16 11:08:46 EDT 2009

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:01:05 -0400
Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

>  [The officer] left a
> Property Receipt with [the suspect] listing items seized during the
> search ... The seized post-it note does not appear on that
> receipt."......  But when an accused can't even make
> notes for use in their own defense, that's a *real* problem.

Speaking from total ignorance since I do not know what transpired
during the search or the nature of the Post-It or the actions and
behavior while it was being written upon, one could speculate it
was not on the Property Receipt because it would not have been subject
to the search warrant and thus could not have been listed as seized
pursuant to the warrant.  In other words, listing it would have been
proof of exceeding the limits of the warrant.

To speculate further, those who believe there is an increasing tendency
for this country to be governed by men and not laws also tend to
believe police officers increasingly feel empowered to take very suspect
if not unlawful actions simply by reason of their position of authority
and for their self interest.

Who says there was a Post-It?  Prove it.  Are you alleging a law
enforcement officer is not telling the truth?  You are the accused are
you not?

Data point.

In a argument to a court defending the strip search of
middle school girl in a recent case, it was asserted  the
girl's spotless discipline record was not proof she was a good student,
but only that she had not been caught violating school rules.

Consider the implication of that statement.

Ed Lawson