Shifty Shell Prompts

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 12:47:50 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Kenny Lussier <klussier at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, using shell commands is now a sign of illegal activity...
> http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/04/boston-college-prompt-commands-are-suspicious
> “…uses two different operating systems to hide his illegal activities.
> One is a regular B.C operating system and the other is a black screen
> with white font which he uses prompt commands on.”

  Not knowing what type of computers we're talking about here, it
appears as if what *makes* the activity suspicios was the use of that
system.  The EFF argument is based on taking one line of text out of a
MUCH larger document, and presenting as the the entire document.

  Typical 'Ub/||-| hAc<3rz' types DO typically present their linux
systems as being some sort of super-secret underground superplatform.
I'm assuming based on the overall descriptions of this guy that it was
presented this way.  I can hear the ghosts of idiots from the past,
"Yea, look at this.  I'm running Linux, because I'm part of the elite
crowd, and we're all different'.

  Sure, I'm stereotyping him, but after the evidence which BC
presented to the cop..  Well, I can't imagine what the guys like when
he gets his kick from sending ananymous emails to a group of people
saying, "Hey everyone, I'm GAY!".

--
-- Thomas