Keeping private data private WAS: Shifty Shell Prompts

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Thu Apr 16 19:51:30 EDT 2009

Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 6:24 PM,  <VirginSnow at vfemail.net> wrote:
> >> http://xkcd.com/538/
> >
> > But really, in this day and age, our personal data can be protected
> > beyond all practical means to obtain it.
>
>   Again, <http://xkcd.com/538/>.  The weakest link in security has
> always been the human element.  Advances in crypto or other technology
> don't change that.

My friend-of-a-friend story for this is that a friend of mine who
knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy in the FBI or NSA or
something (even if I could remember which group it's supposed to be,
what's the certainty at 5 degrees?) says:

       Nobody in the secrets-business bothers *cracking
       encryption*--the just break into your house and install
       bugs. If the data in your computer is of an interest, they can
       open your computer and install keyboard-sniffers and whatever
       other sorts of bugs are relevant there, too.

--
Don't be afraid to ask (Lf.((Lx.xx) (Lr.f(rr)))).