inode settings are gone??

Kenny Lussier klussier at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 15:26:04 EDT 2009

Hi All,

The last time I had to do file system testing, I could adjust the
number of inodes available by echoing values into
/proc/sys/kernel/inode-max. Now, that was quite some time ago... At
the request of our QA group, I looked at a system so that I could
adjust the number of inodes down. However, max-inodes has apparently
gone away... Does anyone know off the top of their head what can be
manipulated to lower the number of inodes on a system with a 2.6
kernel? These are RHEL5 systems, if that helps. Google seems to think
that this is dynamic and cannot be pinned down.

TIA,
Kenny