melodrama at CentOS?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Aug 3 10:42:27 EDT 2009

[Ben gently reminded me I forgot to hit 'reply-all']

On 07/30/2009 06:01 PM, Ben Scott wrote:
>   Is CentOS incorporated?  If not, there is no write-off.

Hrm?  I mean they probably can't expect to ever recover it.

>  It's just
> that all their benefactors who gave them money will now be very
> concerned that their money went into somebody's pocket.  Lawsuits may
> follow.

If somebody took the donations and did something else with them, that
would be fraud.  Without a formal org, it's probably not embezzlement.

>  Future donations may be less likely.

yes, without structure to prevent abuse.  Given structure, perhaps more.
 There's talk of a foundation.

>  If they were depending
> on PayPal funds to keep servers running, operations may be impacted.

They're not.  They wanted to take the funds and do some marketing.
Servers and bandwidth are donated.  Labor is volunteered.

-Bill

http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Cell: 603.252.2606
Twitter, etc.: bill_mcgonigle   Page: 603.442.1833
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/