[OT] - Recovery of data from DVD-R

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 11:21:42 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Dan Jenkins<dan at rastech.com> wrote:
> A friend has a DVD-R which contains sentimental documents ...
>... DVD has an imprint of the bubble wrap on the surface ...

  If sufficiently valuable, I would suggest a professional outfit.
I've used CBL for hard disks before.  They do other media, too.  One
thing I like about them is they give you a free quote, and they have a
"no data, no charge" policy.  You mail them the media.  They give you
the quote.  If you decline, they mail the media back.  If you accept,
they attempt recovery.  If they succeed, you pay for the results.
<http://www.cbldatarecovery.com/>

  If DIY is more appropriate: The recording surface of an optical disc
is between held layers of protective plastic.  It's actually thicker
on the reading side.  You can remove a very thin amount of that layer
and it will still work.  In other words, abrade off the damaged
surface.  They sell kits to do this at Radio Shack, etc.  Typically
there is an abrasive paste, a cleaner/polisher you use after, and some
kind of stand to keep the surface even.

  Below is one such kit, found with Google.  I have no experience with
this product; this is not an endorsement, just an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Innovations-10185-Motorized-AutoMax/dp/B00080YK9Y

-- Ben