Minor disaster recovery

Jeffry Smith jsmith at alum.mit.edu
Wed Aug 12 09:22:13 EDT 2009

Step one - duplicate the drive.   Do a "dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb" (or
suitable drive with a new disk).  You could also do "dd if=/dev/sda
of=/var/disk-copy" to create a file with the name.

One key I've found in recovering bad disks is to minimize the read/writes.
Do a copy and work with that.

jeff