Minor disaster recovery

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 13:09:57 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Alex Hewitt<hewitt_tech at comcast.net> wrote:
> Pretty much. What is different is how easy it is to get support/replacement.
> It's easy with Western Digital and Seagate. Other vendors manufacture a lot
> more than disk drives.

  Good point.  Products may be commodities, but customer service can
vary a lot.  I can't say I've ever had much trouble filing an hard
disk OEM warranty claim, but I haven't had to file many.  (It happens
that my experience has mostly been with out-of-warranty disks, or
disks covered by a reseller warranty, e.g., Dell.)

> The markup on parts is usually very low unless it's somehow a
> proprietary part ...

  I think that varies.  I've certainly encountered plenty of local
shops which mark their parts up considerably.  Their stance is
basically that they're providing service and support, while Staples or
whoever is just selling a box.  I don't entirely disagree with that
stance, either, but one should be aware of it either way.

-- Ben