Google App Engine

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 12:53:08 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Paul Lussier<p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:
> Thomas Charron <twaffle at gmail.com> writes:
>>  I was totally floored by the fact that I can deploy a servlet into
>> Googles server farm, store data up there, and the 'free' limits are
>> higher then many pay sites.  Granted, no direct database access, but
>> with JDO objects, they store it.
> Can you explain to us non-Java devs what this means exactly ?

  You can host your code on their servers.  Additionally, you get
access the memcache, data access, etc, deployed in Google data
centers.  The free portion basically allows you to provide 1 Gig per
day to users of your application.

>>  I'm just totally floored by how much their offering for free.
> It's not for free.  It's costing you something, and they're getting
> something.  You just haven't figured out what those costs are yet :)

  Well, beside's saying Google a beelion times, not too much.
Increasing resource caps is ludicrously cheap, so if a > 1 mil hits a
month site takes off, they have to pay.  However, the quota scale is
this (all units are per day):

  CPU Time:  Free Quota : 6.5 processor hours Additional Time: $0.10 per hour
  Outgoing
  Bandwidth:  Free Quota: 1GB Additional Space: $0.12 per GB
  Incoming
  Bandwidth:  Free Quota: 1GB Additional Space: $0.12 per GB
  Stored
  Data:          Free Quote:  1GB Additional Space: $0.005 per GB

  There are also other quotas on variouse services (only a *mere*
2,000 a day can you send, oh my), but they also have small microfees
associated if you wish to increase the cap.

  The only real non-dynamic per day cost would be Stored Data, which
would generally not shrink.  But then again, Spending a whopping $5.00
a month would end up giving you like 10 GB of data stored.

  I suppose it does make it much easier when a site grows to keep it
in the 'google family', as I'd have to increase my outgoing bandwidth
to be able to export my data in a day.  Bummer, dude..  :-D

--
-- Thomas