comcast dhcp leases

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 13:13:56 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 9:23 AM, <jkinz at kinz.org> wrote:
> Hi all - I notice that  comcast has dropped its dhcp lease times
> down to about 15 minutes, it used to be a number of hours, which
> is rather longer.   I wonder if its possible to somehow have the
> dhcp requests ask for a longer lease period?

  Some things that haven't been mentioned:

  As long as you keep your DHCP client active, it should keep renewing
your lease.  So your IP address should remain relatively unchanging.
Unless Comcast is renumbering your area, in which case you're going to
loose the IP address regardless of lease duration.

  Use a dynamic DNS service to make it possible to look-up your
current IP address from the outside world.  DynDNS gives you one free
A record, and even notifies you if your DDNS client doesn't update it
when it should.  That's what I've been using for years now.

-- Ben