wok-key: dealing with keyloggers on net-cafe computers

Chip Marshall chip at 2bithacker.net
Wed Aug 26 15:15:30 EDT 2009

On August 26, 2009, Tom Buskey sent me the following:
> You *can* do pre generated OTP lists. I've seen it done with
> NetBSD in '00. No token, just a list on a PDA or paper.

I think any modern PAM implementation includes S/KEY mechanisms.
I used this when logging into my personal server through a serial
terminal at my school, as I had no idea what the security on the
serial line was like.

I typically used an S/KEY generator on a PalmOS device, though there's
no reason you can't pre-generate a list of phrases and carry that
around.

On another note, I seem to recall Tin Foil Hat Linux had some sort of
on-screen password mechanism to foil keyloggers.
        http://tinfoilhat.shmoo.com/

--
Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net>
http://weblog.2bithacker.net/          KB1QYW        PGP key ID 43C4819E