recording Comcast digital channels with MythTV

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Dec 5 17:41:10 EST 2009

On Dec 5, 2009, at 4:04 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Quoting Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com>:

>>> Ah, excellent!  This is good news, and very NEW news...  It certainly
>>> has NOT been the case until recently that the IR port works from Linux.
>>
>> Yep, I finished up the initial patches to enable it just a few weeks ago.
>>
>>> I'm glad to hear it does!
>>>
>>> Does Myth support this yet?
>>
>> If you're talking about the video hardware portion, yes, fully supported in MythTV 0.22. For the IR part, MythTV doesn't care. You just set up your channel change script like you always have, now containing irsend commands that operate on the transmitter device lirc sets up for the IR part.
>
> I only have ivtv and firewire devices.  I've never used an IR Blaster.
> So I have no clue how to set up a script to use one, where I would find
> such a script, or how to use one with an HD-PVR.  Is there some tutorial?
> I suspect I'll need one in the next 6 months.

I don't think there's anything official anywhere just yet, just some references to posts on the mythtv mailing lists... The only part that is specific to the hdpvr is the device driver patching (which isn't needed for Fedora 11 or Fedora 12, since I've added those there already). From there, its pretty much the same as the PVR-150 and HVR-1600 IR blasters, so step 11 and on here is fairly relevant:

http://www.blushingpenguin.com/mark/blog/?p=24

The lirc_zilog driver started out as lirc_pvr150 from the above, but was renamed (since it also drives the IR part on the HVR-1600 and HD-PVR) and significantly updated in my lirc git tree.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com