[semi-OT] alternatives to FairPoint in Nashua?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Sun Dec 6 23:54:00 EST 2009

Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Peter Dobratz <peter at dobratz.us> wrote:
> > Are there any alternatives to FairPoint for internet + phone line in
> > Nashua?
>
>   Your choices are fundamentally "the phone company" and "the cable
> company".  In Nashua, that means FairPoint and Comcast.  Both suck
> when it comes to customer service.  Which one sucks more is open to
> debate, and may vary by service area, subscribed features, personal
> preference, and the phase of the moon.

There's also satellite, which has all of the benefits and drawbacks
that you'd probably guess would be associated with beaming your signals to
and from outer space <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_internet>.

The ISP that I use (Earthlink <http://www.earthlink.net/>) provides a
bunch of different options--including dial-up, freestanding DSL,
cable, and satellite; it looks like they also offer telephone
service. There are presumably other ISPs like them, but I can't say
anything about them.

While I gather that they are reselling service from `the phone
compay', `the cable company', or `the satellite' comany, there is
another potential benefit of a middleman that Ben didn't mention:
while it may not make any sense, they're occasionally *cheaper* than
just getting it direct from the source.