New HP dv6 laptop and Knoppix

Michael Nolin michaelnolin at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 13 22:43:05 EST 2009

--- On Sun, 12/13/09, Michael Nolin <michaelnolin at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The laptop I bought the kids for Christmas arrived and it
> did not boot windoz 7. After an hour and a half on the phone
> with HP tech support I got a case# and an order number for a
> new hard drive due to arrive on the 17. HP's diagnostics
> test 'hard drive:failed'.
>
> The BIOS on this laptop seems pretty weak: F2 'run system
> diagnostics' RETURN run windows normally. I had to remove
> the hard drive from the laptop to get the knoppix CD to run,
> I tried 5.0, 5.1 and finally 6.01 which worked.
>
> Perhaps I can upgrade the BIOS when I get a working hard
> drive? can I find a similar discussion in the archives? I
> checked last months but cannot remember any particular
> discussion.
>
> I did not originally intend to dual boot this laptop but
> now I fear this weak BIOS (if it is actually the BIOS I'm
> looking at) will lead to certain data loss or removing the
> hard drive to recover any data which will have to be done on
> another machine.

reviewing (for the 4th time) hp.com/go/techcenter/startup and additional frantic F9 F10 pressing I was able to get to the BIOS configuration and change the boot order, to CD/DVD driver first and bad hard drive 2nd. The previous screen with 'F2 diagnostic' RETURN continue startup was effectively masking the BIOS I was expecting which can be accessed after pressing RETURN and pressing F10 quickly and frequently.

Mike